- Back to Home »
- Icy Winds of Fortune
Posted by : David Guyll January 12, 2011
Icy winds of fortune indeed...ugh. A quick summary of this month's Ampersand article:
- There's a new D&D movie coming out that you already knew about, The Book of Vile Darkness.
- The new Dungeon Tile set that you already knew about is coming out this month (or might already be out).
- Blah blah more Fortune Card previews.
- New D&D Encounters season that you already knew about, March of the Phantom Brigade.
- The D&D Minis line has been completely dropped, so people that bitched about the randomness will have to find something else to bitch about.
- Heroes of Shadow is being released as a hardcover. Oh, and pushed back until April.
- Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium, and Hero Builder's Handbook have all been cancelled.
- Speaking of digital offerings, there also won't be any monthly compilations, anymore.
So except for all the product/service cancellations, a bunch of shit we already knew about. I've been really patient with WotC over the past years, but this is ominous to say the least. I mean, they've scrapped three books and their minis line--along with pushing another back--in light of changing their article updates to the "whenever" model (which wouldn't bug me so much if it wasn't a service that I was paying for by the month). However, they promise to give us other stuff aside from D&D books to make up for it. These actions don't exactly strike me with confidence, especially with a company that is notoriously bad for claiming to do one thing and then delaying and/or cancelling it.